Oklahoma Academic Standards
• Oklahoma stakeholders adopted and developed the standards with the goals
of college-, career-and citizen-readiness in mind.
• OAS prepare students for the road ahead, providing them with the support
and skills they will need to perform successfully in the classroom, on assessments, and in the workplace.
• Oklahoma Academic Standards are more focused and rigorous, intended to
provide students with skills they need to be successful in the 21st Century.
• Students learn reading and math skills using informational and technical
texts across all content areas.
• Local school districts and teachers will determine how to best meet the
needs of students in their schools by determining curricula and implementing instructional strategies.
• Assessments will be used to determine areas of strengths and weaknesses
so that educators can adjust instruction for each individual
• OAS are a win for all Oklahomans:
• Students are better prepared for college, career, and citizenship.
• Parents are more informed of their children’s progress and will
have more direction on how to support learning at home.
• Educators are given autonomy in their classrooms.
• Businesses gain a workforce suited to the rapidly changing world.